How to Check a Google Ranking of Your Website – 3 Free Tools Any Business Owner Can Use + 5 Paid Options (for Best Results)4 min readApril 28, 2023
In today’s digital age, having an online presence is necessary for businesses to survive and thrive. A crucial factor in maintaining your online presence is knowing where your website stands in Google’s search results. Knowing your page ranking can help you to identify areas for improvement, track your progress, and ultimately increase your online visibility. But how can you check your page ranking in Google?
Checking what keywords a site is ranking for in Google
Despite what common sense would tell you about checking your rankings in Google, the best way is NOT simply typing the query into the search bar yourself. There are a few variables that go into each individual search performed, so even if we’re sitting side-by-side and searching the same keyword or phrase, we may get different results. Your previous searches and clicks, location, and even whether or not Google has recently released an update (each one typically takes 2-3 weeks – and that’s just the announced ones) causing the search results to still shuffle around can impact these one-off searches.
Think of it like a poll or a survey: If you limit your data, you are likely receiving skewed results. Rather than getting just one point of data and having a false sense of security when you’re performing well, you’ll want to gather as much data as you can to get a more accurate picture of your keywords’ performance.
How to check your page ranking in Google – for free
Thankfully, there are various free tools available that can help you monitor your website’s keyword performance on Google. Let’s explore some of the best free tools to check your page ranking on Google – and in the process, learn how to enhance your website’s visibility.
- Google Search Console – Go directly to the source and claim your Search Console listing. While data has been limited for privacy reasons over the years, you can still get a general idea of some keywords and phrases for which you are ranking, along with their trajectory over the last 16 months (provided you’ve claimed your listing). To view this data, click the search results tab under the Performance section on the left, make sure the “average position” box is checked, and define your date range.
- Ahrefs Keyword Rank Checker – If you know what your best performing keywords are, Ahrefs Keyword Rank Checker is as easy as entering your keyword and website and clicking “Check rankings.”
- Ubersuggest – This will give you a limited view of some of the keywords for which you are ranking. It’s best used for specific key landing pages if you register for the three free searches a day. Additionally, it can offer ideas of what to search for with Ahrefs tool.
The best way to check your keyword ranking
Let’s be honest: The best way to check your keyword ranking is with as much data as is available, and that is only possible through paid tools. The free tools are nice, but again, they limit the data available to you. If you have an active SEO program, chances are your digital marketing team has one or several of these tools at their disposal. If you’re trying to manage your search engine optimization yourself, we recommend at least one of these tools for tracking purposes – and as a bonus, they all offer free trials!
When it comes to tracking your keyword rankings, consider one of the following options:
- Ahrefs – This is our go-to for several key features, including the keyword ranking tracker. Plans start at $99/month.
- Semrush – This is very similar to Ahrefs, as it includes keyword discovery, tracking, and competitor keyword ideas. Plans start at $119.95/month.
- Advanced Web Ranking – This tool focuses more on just basic keyword ranking tracking and lets you explore ranking data in more detail. Plans start at $99/month.
- Moz Pro – Although not as powerful as some of the other options on this list, Moz Pro includes several SEO features including keyword ranking tracking. Plans start at $99/month.
It’s essential to remember that while page and keyword rankings are important, they’re not the only metrics to consider. You may be performing well for other higher traffic or higher-converting keyword phrases that you hadn’t considered.
That’s why it’s always a good idea to discuss your website’s performance with your digital marketing team. They can help you to identify your strengths and weaknesses and develop a comprehensive search engine optimization strategy to improve your overall online presence.
And, of course, if you need professional advice, we’re always here to help. Sharp Innovations offers various services to support your business, including auditing your existing SEO program and making recommendations on where to start with a digital marketing program. Plus, we can answer other questions you may have about a website redesign project, hosting support, and more. Simply click the free consultation button at the top of the page or call us at 717-290-6760.